Monday, April 30, 2007
A HIDDEN WONDER
Art. What comes into the mind, when that word is mentioned?
Or to be more explicit- what is creative work?
Inevitably, certain things are mentioned. Paintings, and poetry, and music, dance, perhaps. But, I realize, isn't there something that's left out, always?
Come my aunts, and ask me, "Oh, so are you learning anything?" "I'm doing French these-" "No, no! music?" "No" "Singing?" "No" "Painting?"(their voices pleading). "No" After which they reach the conclusion that I'm completely uncultured, and abandon me to despair.
But that's hardly the greatest irony. That would be the fact that all through the conversation the file where I keep my short stories, and efforts at writing, are all lying there by the side.
Through my demure expression I wish I could scream.
Not many people understand this dilemma.
But, you see, as writing means a lot to me, I wonder why people don't appreciate it when they can music, or art. Writing deserves every bit of the attention other works of 'art' get- for it is difficult, and heart rending and time consuming, to produce something worth the effort.
Perhaps this apathy to literature is simply because people can't appreciate it, for it takes time to read, but barely a minute to see a picture, or even listen to a composition. And then, it takes a lot more to appreciate something that you have to comprehend and understand.
If only writing were appreciated for all its grandeur!
But till then, it's almost enough to know that some people realize the value, and value, this craft, that is lost in the struggle with time.

Labels:

posted by Clezevra @ 1:45 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At May 13, 2007 at 11:19 PM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    Writing is appreciated in all its grandeur but not yet your writing. That is why you must continue to do it. And don't expect your elders to understand, they probably won't but it doesn't matter, because at some time in the future they will realise that all their angst over you was pointless and they will be happy and proud of what you will become. Adults rarely recall what it was to be young.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...