Sunday, April 8, 2007
WORDS ON LETTERS
Envelopes, tied with a ribbon if sent to a fanciful owner... sheets of papers, engraved with a monogram... sheets that carry a faint whiff of perfume as a subtle reminder... the impatience that finally becomes a part of a daily routine at the time the postman comes round...the study table stuffed with addresses and writing paper...
All this, and much more perhaps, belongs to a by-gone era of decadent letters and mail.
No matter that important news and not so important chatter is conveyed much more easily, fast, and with less miscarriages, no matter what progress it indicates, people still mourn about the days where letters were eagerly awaited for, for hope of news.

Naturally, I have never personally witnessed or experienced all this belonging to the generation I do - not more than getting fewer and fewer christmas cards every year- but is it really missed that much- those 'letters' that everyone now mourns?
Well, if you ask me, no. It's not so much the letters, as the act of knowing that somebody took some time out for you- even if only to copy out some cliched words (by hand)- and the words of a person whom you await for, written however unwillingly.
So even if somebody sends me a long lengthy epistle via the net, I'd still read it eagerly- and it's easier to reply without fear of bieng untidy.
I guess the real tragedy is that people don't have time, and the net gives them a chance to escape that without consequences.

Ah well, here's hoping for a secret package by mail!

Labels:

posted by Clezevra @ 3:30 AM  
10 Comments:
  • At April 8, 2007 at 5:49 AM, Blogger noony said…

    letters are classic...and I love them. Even though It takes ages to get a reply...but at the end its all worth it.
    I think it becomes more personal.Because you can smell the letter,read the handwriting and sometimes if you're lucky they put some card in their..or a sticker :)
    (childhood memory)

     
  • At April 8, 2007 at 1:06 PM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    Are you going to forgive me if I correct your English? Hell, I'll do it anyway. 'Less and less Christmas cards' Fewer and fewer Chri...' Countables and uncountables. Even the BBC can't get it right these days, but you should, bookworm!
    And, young lady, for that is what you are, you are a cheat. You can't declare that your second guess was 54 when you already know that I am 57! It's like me guessing you are 14!

     
  • At April 9, 2007 at 3:47 AM, Blogger slartybartfarst said…

    Well, you know that most of what I say is to be taken with a pinch of salt. And you express yourself very well, as you know. Just give me a little time and I'll get to read more of your stuff. I have to work y'know. Keep going, I'll be back.

     
  • At April 9, 2007 at 4:00 AM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    That's confusing, isn't it? Well howard and boojam are one and the same! But I guess you worked that out.

     
  • At April 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM, Blogger slartybartfarst said…

    http://booj.blogspot.com/search/label/letters
    Hi again, I was reading your latest post again and reflected on your suspicion that letters themselves are not missed. For my self that is not so. It is the whole process which is imbued in a letter that means so much. It is the care in the writing, the ink blot, the choice of paper, onion skin or Basildon Bond?, the envelope, again the care in the address, after all it is the envelope whish is the outward clue to the contents, it is in the receipt, lying in bed , late, the rattle of the letter box, the sight of the letter on the mat, the anticipation in picking it up, the wrinkles gained on its journey, the blade used to slit the fold, the hesitant inhalation in search of a scent, the unfolding. Oh yes, it was more, much more than the mere written word.
    See you soon.

     
  • At April 11, 2007 at 1:53 AM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    Good afternoon, CV. You have to know that the lady is barely 5 feet tall and the loads are sofas, cabinets and such things, which she and others have had to carry up 6 flights of stairs, as there is no lift in the school. You are right to an extent, women are strong, and there are women who can handle this work. But she is tiny. I could not ask her to carry a heavy weight. It would not be right.

     
  • At April 11, 2007 at 1:58 AM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    Well I referred you to it for the letter writing content. You know these blog entries can sometimes be eclectic and a bit random. Memories of people, feelings, etc. They all get put in the churn.

     
  • At April 11, 2007 at 2:01 AM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    How confused am I? I thought you were referring to 'I Guess There Was Love' (label, Letters). The one you read is about my wife.

     
  • At May 25, 2007 at 7:39 AM, Blogger bereaved vendetta said…

    hm... why do you write so well???

     
  • At November 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well written article.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...