Monday, July 16, 2007
PROOF OF GOD'S EXISTENCE
Some things are best left alone, but when has humanity been known to take the right course?Does God exist? Can he be proved to exist? Mathematically? Logically?Well, what's the harm in trying?

Firstly, then, there's the cosmjological argument- the universe had to begin with something, that initial 'thing' was 'God'. Without it, the universe wouldn't exist.

Then there's the Ontological Argument. This one is quite fascinating, actually. it goes like this:
>God is, by definition, a being greater than which nothing can be conceived (imagined).
>Existence in reality is greater than existence in the mind.
>God must exist in reality; if God did not, then God would not be that than which nothing greater can be conceived (imagined).
That is, if you can imagine someone like God, it is self contradictory to say he doesn't exist. (Rather like saying root of minus two, which can't exist rationally, but does because you can imagine it does.)

There are a range of theories that state that so- and-so can best be explained by the existence of God.

To end on a humorous note, here's a completely illogical proof that God doesn't exist, taken from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
God: I refuse to prove that I exist, for proof denies faith, and without faith I'm nothing.
Man: But, the Babel fish (in place of any miraculous thing) is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist, and therefore, by your own argument, you don't. QED
God: Oh dear. I hadn't thought of that.
And he vanishes with a poof.
posted by Clezevra @ 7:26 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At July 18, 2007 at 11:45 AM, Blogger slartybartfarst said…

    My, you are getting philosophical. I can see no logical reason to ponder the existence of God. He is a figment of the imagination of man, no doubt a necessary process, born of the need to have someone/thing on which to hang responsibility for catastrophe and to provide explanation of the unexplainable. The whole God thing is no big deal to invent, look at the great novels, look at Harry Potter. And it served a purpose for many, has made millions happy and perhaps more, miserable.
    I'm flying tonight. My hope of doing more on your 'book' over these few days was in vain, I regret but I have it on my memory stick and will take it to Mud Island. I hope I can find time to do it, I will try. My posts will grind to a periodic drivel.

     
  • At July 23, 2007 at 8:13 AM, Blogger Safdar said…

    i like the comment. pretty much sums up my views too.

     
  • At August 4, 2007 at 1:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I don't need to ponder on God's existence - for me it's totally on faith. I just believe

     
  • At September 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Blogger Kirra Serra said…

    Conspicuous. Ziah hasn't commented. As for the question of god, as I have expounded earlier, it is like having a blanky. It does not do much more than keep you warm.
    Plus, the definition of god is so subjective. The greeks, i am sure, believed completely in Zeus as the creator of lightening, like Indra in Indian mythology. But now that one knows it to be a scientifically explainable phenomenon, did the old mythologies have it wrong? What does the present one have wrong then?
    Also, when one ponders the question of god's existence it would be prudent to address the question of which one? So many religions, each believing in his own deity to be the 'real' one. Which one of them is right?

     
  • At September 9, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Blogger Kirra Serra said…

    I, of course, mean no offense to any sentiment. It is no more than my opinion.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...