Wednesday, June 20, 2007
TRAnTRA- THE FIRST DAY
It's really very restricting to go in order when I really want to write about the last days first. Still, we require some semblance of order.
So, I made the last mistake I should have- the most obvious one. I calculated we should reach by eleven am, forgetting about latitudes and the earth rotating. So when our arrival time turned out to be two in the afternoon there were groans of half a day lost.
The airport was huge. More to the point, there were actually two connecting airports, each of them huge. It was quite breathtaking, and I had to think about the progress humanity had made. Then, we took the 'aero-train' (sounds nice, doesn't it?) to the other side to collect our baggage, following which there was a wait for an hour as one family of the tour group had lost their way. Oh great!
Our guide turned out to be a Chinese called Tan Foong Yun or something of the sort whose accent was pretty entertaining (children for one, became chulen). Then, there was a tour of some floating mosque, the administrative area, lots of greenery, and the sight of rest dancing before our eyes. Still, everyone was pretty impressed by the city, notwithstanding that most of it was coming up and would be ready by 2010- 2020.
Nothing much that night, except temporarily losing our way while coming back from dinner, and observing that more than half the people around us appeared to be Indians. Then sleep, and sweet dreams.
posted by Clezevra @ 12:17 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At June 24, 2007 at 1:53 PM, Blogger slartybartfarst said…

    Hi, anonymous person. You ask me when I stopped believing. That assumes that at some time I believed. I was born into a mixed family, religiously speaking. My father was a committed atheist and had never had a faith. My mother was of Quaker stock but was half hearted. The only times we went to meetings were when my grandmother appeared. I have never felt a need to believe and the more I learn about the ways of the world and the synthetic nature of deist religions, the more I think them superfluous, even actively undesirable, possibly sometimes evil. Certainly there are great unsolved mysteries about our origins and that of the universe, etc but I simply cannot find a reason to lumber some ficticious notion with the responsibility for it all, simply because we cannot come up with saisfactory solutions.
    How much have you got in your wallet?.........

     
  • At June 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM, Blogger slartybartfarst said…

    The wallet thing? It's an ironic reference to Bringing Home the Bacon! Wake up!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...