Monday, June 25, 2007
PERSPECTIVE
Well, recently I've been reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I came across the chapter about the Total Perspective Vortex.
That scary thing is supposed to be a means of torture and its means of torture is to put before the victim a sense of proportion of his own size and importance compared to the universe- which of course, makes a person, without fail, go mad.
I couldn't help but thinking about this.
Of course, logic and science tells me that the universe is huge- I'm aware of that. And also of my comparative significance. But, despite that, there is something called the 'ego', a sense of self, that sets 'me' apart from the rest of the world- irrespective of any knowledge to the contrary. And destruction of this is equivalent to death- or so I think.
As he rightly points out to actually look at things as they are are killing to the morale.
And this is true for many other things as well.
Consider death. It is a fact of life, an everyday matter, so to speak. Yet to be nonchalant about it arises in me a sense of nausea- it's just not done. Similarly look at relations, and success, and the question is it worth it to live?
Ah well, that's life and it's ironies, and one of the many problems to be dealt with. Meanwhile, the knowledge that your troubles are negligible is sometimes comforting in the midst of it all, and success- but that's another matter altogether...
posted by Clezevra @ 8:43 PM  
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...