Saturday, January 26, 2008
AROUND THE WORLD...
People's sense of accuracy seems to be terrible. Terrible? Hah! It doesn't exist!
India, as we've been told countless times, is a land of immense diversity, blah, blah. Does that enable people to guess where you're from? Not at all! Just provides them an opportunity to blunder all the way through.

If people were to be believed, my looks suggest I might be from South India (hello! did you look at me or was it just a stray comment?) But being mistaken for one thing, is quite separate from being told, the very next week "I thought you were from, you know, Bihar, UP..."
And if all that might make you think that gives me a sufficiently Indian look, you're wrong!
The first time someone came up to me and said, "Um, are you Chinese?" I spluttered, "Good- God- in- Heaven- no!" (Okay, so I just said the last word, but the manner of saying it summed up the whole sentence.) Since then many have commented on my Chinese-ness.
Not to be trusted, naturally, because one of those who did then proceeded to say that "She looks very Russian today!" (Could they just be moving northwards randomly to show they know the Atlas?)
And then yesterday I hear "She looks French..."

When they accidentally manage to learn I'm Bengali, they are of course incredulous.

But, that apart, people, make up your minds! I don't change my face everyday!!!

posted by Clezevra @ 5:47 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At January 26, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Blogger Life in a Dust Storm said…

    Hi C: re your comment: do you really think it's all so uncomplicated?
    And I think it's rather nice to have a face which could indicate such diverse origins. My eldest daughter has been thought to originate from Arabia, Spain, Italy and any number of other latin countries. She can't be pigeon-holed.

     
  • At January 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Blogger Bone said…

    how did you manage to be mistaken for southindian and chinese/russian/whatevershit at the same time? even the stereotypes are almost total opposites.

    btw, the roleplay story blog has been started, but to send you an invite i've to mail it at the id you blog with. drop me an email at child.without.god@gmail.com.

     
  • At February 4, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Blogger Maximum Boy said…

    Your name's confusing enough... and i agree with "quietlittleshything"; you can't possibly be mistaken for being russian,chinese,south indian and what not.

     
  • At February 5, 2008 at 7:48 AM, Blogger Clezevra said…

    Okay, first, I think it's pretty obvious that 'Clezevra' is a pseudonym, not my real name.
    Then, I concede that the remark about being 'South Indian' was just a polite (?) question, but the rest are quite true. So there!!!

     
  • At February 6, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    where's the post about rhett butler and sherlock holmes??? gone with the wind, eh? my all time favourite. Kid, go and fall in love with a real, live person rather than dreaming of old fictional characters. 15 year old! you should be dating high school guys! what's with you? you always seem morose and glum. my sincerest apologies for not having checked your blog since so long.

    rhododendron...

     
  • At February 14, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Blogger VelocityGirl (tm) said…

    if i were you, id think id enjoy being cosmopolitan.
    but then again, it must be weird to have a subjective face open to many ethnic interpretations. <.< >.>

     
  • At February 15, 2008 at 6:00 AM, Blogger Doubletake, Doublethink. said…

    well, i suppose its a very indian thing to first find out which state a person is from and then proceed to less important questions like "are you a criminal?"

    and yes, the explanation can get tiring. i'm from two different states =)

     
  • At May 27, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahahahaha! (Rolling with laughter) Hahahahahaha! "You look russian today"??? You actually had someone ask you that? What next? Aiyaiya! I am not so sure after all whether I want to see you after the vacations, now after coming back from Gangtok.
    Kirra.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...