Wednesday, December 26, 2007
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD...
The other day, my freind asked me what I hated. Pondering, as I had, earlier on my greatest fear, my answer was firstly, crowds, and secondly, anonymity.

To which the immediate response was, "But don't they kind of contradict each other?"

I was surprised, to say the least. Then I guessed she was confusing loneliness with anonymity. Being alone is being by yourself, being anonymous is being unknown.

So, naturally, crowds aen't the antonym of anonymity, but a synonym.
Swarms of people, unfailingly thought of as 'other people', make me realize that thet's what I am to them. It's this loss of identity, total lack of worth and value, the oblivion you exist in, that is so frightening.
Being alone is a constant reminder of being 'you', of knowing you exist, you're there, in a very real sense. Crowds make you forget that, gathering up your individuality into a collective, frightening, indistinctive mass.

A sand in a million doesn't call attention to itself, a flickering spark of glowing sunlight in the air does.
posted by Clezevra @ 9:02 AM  
8 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...