Friday, September 4, 2009
BEING ANALYTICAL
I know that complaining about the education system is norm (I've done it a few times myself), but here's what I think the crux of the problem is.

I used the following sentence in an article I once wrote: "Education is often touted as the antidote for all our problems. "
The problem, pardon the redundancy, is that education might have benefits, but ultimately, it has to be seen as an end unto itself. If seen merely as a means, it cannot but be a hindrance, a mere obstacle to be passed while rushing on- and surely, given the amazing things that knowledge can hold, it would be a pity to merely pass it with an annoyed frown.
Here's the second thing- exams. Exams are meant to be a means to gauge the depth of knowledge acquired. Unfortunately, however, in India, exams are the end for which knowledge is acquired.
This transposition of means and ends can only lead to an inevitable warping of attitudes- as seen all too clearly.

I cannot recall the number of times I've asked a question only to be answered with, "That's not in the course". What a terrible, terrible thing to say! How I hope I never have to hear this in college... or ever again, for that matter.

Which is why I think this scrapping of the Boards is a great first step. However, it is just that- a first step. The journey still remains.
posted by Clezevra @ 8:33 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At September 6, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Blogger Sherry Wasandi said…

    "...an end unto itself"

    My Rand-sensitive ears(eyes,actually) prick up right there.

    I agree with you. Have thought on similar lines since my first encounter with formal education. Only, never could put it into words with such eloquence.

    A transposition of means and ends. Exactly.

     
  • At September 6, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Blogger Clezevra said…

    Why do always, always, end up sounding like Rand?

     
  • At September 6, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Blogger Sherry Wasandi said…

    It's not a bad thing.

    She was, after all, very convincing with her words.

    Anyone who ever read it at an impressionable age did get mildly brainwashed by it. Me included.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...