Friday, July 25, 2008
PUZZLING PATTERNS
I've always held that coincidences don't exist- there either really exists a pattern, or it is merely the ability of the human mind to find patterns in disconnected things.
And yet, there is this incident that throws lots of doubt on the theory, and also highlights the ironic 'be careful what you wish for'.

So, in my previous school, and this was way back ten years ago, I had a really good friend- best friends, so to speak.
After I left that school, naturally, being young, gullible and naive, though we met every month or so, I kept wishing that somehow one day, I'd enter my class, and the teacher would go like "Oh here's a new girl, sit with CV", and it would turn out to be X, who'd left Y school for C.
And then the memory faded, things assumed proportion.

Then two years back, in ninth grade, on the first day of school, there were many new girls.
Being the first day, we were allowed to sit as we chose.
Then in the middle of a class, for some random reason, I was made to sit with a new girl. Which I didn't particularly appreciate... till we got talking.
Her name was X.
Coincidence? Perhaps. But then I asked her what school she came from.
And guess what...?!

And no, it was not the same person.
That would have been picture perfect.
A greater power who likes to play about with words? Or just an inbuilt tendency towards subcutaneous menaing in the fabric of the universe?

I got my wish, it just wasn't what I wished for.
posted by Clezevra @ 8:41 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At July 27, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Lucid Darkness said…

    Ah now, patterns can be found in almost anything, in a rather eerie pattern. I don't know if they can be given names; it is almost as though they just about elude a fixed formula. And that makes you wonder about Fate, and a lot of other things as well.

    Now about what you wrote, I can relate an incident of my own.
    When I was in seventh grade, a new girl arrived in school and we became very good friends. Let's say that her name was N. As the school year drew to a close, we ended up the best of friends. However, her dad got posted to a different city and she had to leave after just a year. And yes, I went through a similar kind of 'wishing' where I'd imagined she'd return to the city.

    Now in eleventh, I made another friend (whom we can call D). But our friendship soured the next year (let's not go into why). There's a girl in my class now, whose first name is the same as N's and who is nicknamed D.
    Funny, isn't it? :P

     
  • At July 28, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Blogger Clezevra said…

    funny yeah... but no way half as wierd as mine. Same name, okay. same school... o-kay. being made to sit with her, too!!! way wierd!

     
  • At August 7, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is pretty much in line with how I feel about the way wishes get answered. We get what we ask for, but more often than not we don't want what we get. Can't complain then, can we?

    Cosmos' idea of fun? I think so.

     
  • At August 8, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Blogger Different Pen said…

    I may be a weird one, but I do believe in patterns. And meaning. And sometimes you see the pattern but not the meaning. In any case, it spices up life, doesn't it?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...