Monday, July 7, 2008
TEMPEST ABOUT A NON EXISTENT TEAPOT
I fail to understand why people are so insistent on believing in God. Why in this age of technology and greater understanding about the world, they tend to cling to old fashioned- or should I say ancient?- beliefs in a supernatural creature?
So, in school today, my friend, mainly to releieve the monotony of a dull class, told the teacher she was an agnostic (the discussion was about a typical convent girl...). Well, initially, no one knew what the word meant.
Then uderstanding dawned, and doom fell on us (by this time, I ha added my, ahem, strong opinions on the subject.
Here are some of the reasons why they felt god existed:
What do you do when you're sad?
Don't you sometimes need support?
Science can't explain everything.
You're reading poisonous matter.
Do you think we're here because of gravity? (To which I said, well, no... evolution played its part, too)

These are the premises through which they justified God!!!
There was also- by our wonderfully philosophical teacher- something like "People like Stephen Hawking are extremely talented and logical. They can live while disbelieving God. But we mere mortals??? You're kidding right? We're weak. We need moral support. And so..."
And then some crap about saibaba.
And now, I suppose we're moral outcasts.

Great first day, no?
posted by Clezevra @ 1:58 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At July 7, 2008 at 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to see that you don't belong to the "Life's not great, I need to have God to blame" category.

    I have thought about this at length & accept my ignorance.People cite incidents & examples that they can't explain. Einstein once remarked that "if we don't understand something, it doesn't mean that we will never understand it.Only that the time hasn't come yet"

    Recommended reading: "God of the Gaps" & "argumentum ad ignorantiam"

     
  • At July 7, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Blogger Clezevra said…

    Oh... how I love bloggingfor its ability to turn up people who think like you!!!
    I can't envy Richard Dawkins (I loved the God Delusion) for the criticism he must have faced from people. I mean, I could barely face 50 girls, who were all furious that I could dare to disbelieve... hell, my freind's brave for getting up and saying whatever. I couldn't have done it first.

     
  • At July 12, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Blogger SPIRITed! said…

    I remember a time when I had to endure a super pious lecture by a teacher because I told her that I was agnostic.

    Never talk about your supposedly blasphemic religious beliefs with your teachers. They give you sharp dagger-like looks.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...