Sunday, April 18, 2010
2 PM THOUGHTS
What I just realized is that I don't miss school.

It's literally like every second person I talk too is vaguely or acutely nostalgic about school, and I feel sort of empty and indifferent. Me being me, I wondered if I was suppressing my longing for school and subconsciously longed to be back after all, but I don't think so.


The other day, I cleared out the school books from my cupboard (a first in three years!) and was surprised at how very few books I lingered over affectionately. I was pretty 'meh' over the maths books (let's face it, I'll be back to them in a few months). Lots of other subjects I was like 'good riddance!'. Barely a few, such as my English textbooks, I flipped through remembering classes and discussions. The Boards just seem like an exercise in oblivion at the moment (undoubtedly, it will look a lot starker next month before results!).
All of which leads me to decide that I'll NEVER study something I acutely hate ( like Business Studies) EVER again- and I guess I'm pretty lucky in that US actually allows me to do this.

Moreover, school was kind of stifling when it came to pigeonholing people into boxes. I, for instance, was the quiet bookworm- no matter that there were other aspects of me, or that I had changed a lot in the past two years. The constant surprise that I could run fairly fast is slightly annoying. Somehow this made me pretty reluctant to try out new things.

However, looking back, I wouldn't have gone to school anywhere else- parts of me just wouldn't be the same if I'd gone to, say, a more marks oriented place. Which is not say, of course, that I'd go back here!


Right now I'm experiencing shivers of thrilled uncertainty regarding the next six months.
posted by Clezevra @ 12:17 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At April 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not missing school as much as the people. And a few memories which have taken their time in turning from sour to sweet are cherished but I'd so rather never live through them again.
    I confess, even I was taken aback when I saw you running.
    The BS bit- amen to that.

    Kirra

     
  • At April 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Blogger Srishti said…

    Maths sucks. Any day.

    I just gave my boards too! But of 10th, not 12th. Are you scared about May? I'm not.

    Y'know, how adults keep telling you, "Don't ever forget your school life! They'll be the best years of your life! Thats the most fun you're ever gonna get"
    Its so silly. I mean, I love my school and all, and THANK GOD, my school's on from tomorrow or I'd die of boredom, but...I wouldn't want these to be the best years of my life. Because even if I live till, say, 60, I dont want the best year of my life to be the one where my only joy was imitating my teacher and cribbing about homework. Cuz thats kinda pathetic, know what I mean?
    This is not what I want my extent of fun be, thats all.

    Anyway, best of luck for the result !

     
  • At April 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Blogger Indranil said…

    I felt the same sort of 'meh' even as school was ending. I remember our farewell, with everyone bursting into tears left right and center, and me just feeling glad to get out of that uniform!

    Have a great 6 months (whatever it is you'll do :P)

     
  • At April 20, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Blogger Clezevra said…

    @Srishti- Bring on the marks! I'm not scared of you! I remember being so in 10th though, and boy was it anti-climatic.

    @Indranil- Me too! Also our farewell was crazily early, and I kept going 'But we'll be back to school on Monday!' as people burst into tears around me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...