Saturday, February 20, 2010
RANDOMLY RANTING
It's been so long since I ranted and wandered...

Firstly, exams make me gorge on Agatha Christie, but her plots no longer baffle me. Five years ago I was stunned, bewildered, shocked, wowed at each and every ending she penned. Nevertheless, fifty books into her, I could guess the murderer without fail- not because I picked up the clues, but because I could intuitively guess whom Christie would pick as the killer, and so, five chapeters into the book I knew. Now, however, her plots seem so obvious that I second guess my second guesses- so I know who it is in the beginning, then conclude I am wrong- coz it can't be that simple can it?- and then am disappointed when it is that simple.

Which brings me to some thoughts I have on game theory (lectures from Yale's open curriculum, what fun!). The basic premise is that people behave rationally. But while I agreee that people are always rational, they aren't always acting on the same premises. So, when a problem in game theory is explained the answer becomes all too obvious- but, in real life,there's nobody explaining the game to you while you're playing it. Doesn't it therefore make sense to assume that people behave seemingly irrationally- intuitively, say, or that they are only able to reason a certain number of steps into the game based on level of intelligence? Is there some way to incorporate something like 'human tendency' into the calculations?

On a more flippant note, I intend to visit a dozen coffee shops once my Boards are over (and they will not be Cafe Coffee Days!), sit over cups of coffee (well, I don't do coffee, so maybe hot chocolate) and have random discussions on absolutely nothing. And this is my sole motivation for wanting to do the Boards well.
Twisted? Ah well. C'est la vie.
posted by Clezevra @ 10:41 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
COCKTAIL PUNCH AND A DASH OF SALT
My Photo
Name:
Location: In Limbo

If knowing oneself is really proof of not knowing oneself this part of the profile is so pointless...

PAST POSTINGS
Archives
Now that you're here...
Template By
Free Blogger Templates
© COCKTAIL, PUNCH, AND A DASH OF SALT...